In the advent of a new administration, politicians are concerned about the possibility that Martial Law is imminent. This is because they are not sure about the real plans of the incumbent president of their nation who was just elected as their leader. Speculations are now raised among several politicians if there will be another wave of Martial Law that could impact their society after several years. For communities who did not experience Martial Law and it will be their first time, they usually show signs of fear and uncertainties.
In history, communities, kingdoms, and cultures were strictly implementing an authoritarian rule where a leader's order will be the only one that will be followed. Any person, group or organization who will fail to follow a leader's rule will be persecuted. So communities started to unite by following orders as strictly implemented by the governing leader of their respective community from the past. This tradition went on until their reached the present generation and then formed written laws.
|Are you in favor of Martial Law?|
One example of Martial Law was when the Philippines was invaded by the Japanese forces and then mandated the leaders to declare Martial Law on September 21, 1944, under Proclamation 29, when President Jose P. Laurel placed the country under Martial Law against the United States and the United Kingdom under the orders of Imperial Japan. The second declaration was on September 21, 1972, by the late Ferdinand Marcos during his presidential term under the Proclamation Number 1081 that took effect between 1972 and 1981.
Martial Law is also applied by other countries around the world. Even today, there are other countries who are reportedly implementing this particular political status as being covered by several international media networks. In this case, Martial Law is considered an integral part of our history. Many are not surprised if their country will be placed under Martial Law ruling as decided by their incumbent political leader.
Benefits of Martial Law
1. Eradicate criminality: If a country is blanketed by a series of negative elements that continuous to harm the society, the leader is now pressured to declare Martial Law. This is to neutralize all criminal offenders responsible for risking the safety and impunity against the society. Restoration of peace is one of the main issues why Martial Law is important to the society once in a while so that the level of criminal rates can significantly go down and safeguard the welfare of the society.
2. Improve peace: Martial Law proclamation would mean that peace is the main goal so that it will provide a measure for the society to live in peace. All society want peace in their community because they want to have the chance to elevate their socio-economic lifestyle. The leader must have to do an immediate action so that their community will be free from any sorts of disturbances that might risk the state of peace that their people are currently enjoying it.
3. Eliminate any signs of terrorism: Terrorism is now one of the most problematic security issues affecting the safety and prosperity of a certain nation. If terrorism is very rampant in your community, declaring Martial Law is necessary. This is to flush out all insurgents who are terrorizing the community and responsible for provoking harm, intimidation, and coercion to the peaceful society that you are currently living.
4. Remove corrupt official: Public officials who are corrupt will be under contempt, which will allow the rule of law to apprehend them due to their mistakes. This is because there are several government officials who are utilizing the government just to satisfy their self-greed. Removing corrupt officials is more efficient when Martial Law is applied because there is a tighter implementation and enforcement of law.
5. Promotes equality and equity: In every society, one must apply equality, which provides equal rights that aim to protect the dignity as well as the image of all individual, group, and organization. As for equity, it seeks to promote privilege and justifies any rights of every member of the society for the purpose of providing them the opportunity to become productive in their lives. Any suspicious activities or attempts to take advantage towards others will be apprehended by the law.
6. Promotes authoritarianism: When a leader has been already enjoying his power and privilege to govern his society after declaring Martial Law, he can have the power to extend it. However, the society where he is currently governing may be already considered as under an authoritarian rule. This is because all the power and orders of the government are only concentrated under his orders and plans for the society.
7. Increases police power: Police forces can have a more privilege to exercise their position as security personnel. They can be even more powerful than a local official once Martial Law is implemented. This is because all orders will be materialized by the police personnel, especially if the supreme leader will go against other lower ranked leaders of the government. The police force only follows the command of the supreme leader and not from local leaders.
8. A risk for a Political crisis: Martial Law Freezes the power of executive, legislative, and judiciary branches of the government, in which the leader is the sole responsible for regulating these three branches. Prolonged Martial Law can risk the political security of the society. Local leaders may form an alliance against the government, sparking a political crisis. If this happens, the legitimacy of the leader collapses.
9. Economic collapse: With the freezing of all three branches and the concentration of police and military forces that only follows orders from the government, both micro and macroeconomic stability of the nation can significantly collapse. This can impact local and international businesses to halt their operations. Trading and transportation of goods and services are affected. There will be more individuals who become jobless, risking their socio-economic situation.
10. Human rights abuse: Police force is a prominent factor along with the propulsion of military forces across the society. Incidents of police or military brutality will be on the rise as the leader will start ordering apprehensions for any local leaders including their supporters and allies. There will be a mass protest with response to human rights abuse, which further degrades both political and economic situation of the society.
So here is the question. Are you in favor of Martial Law?