During holidays, sticky rice is one of the most preferred delicacies served in Southeast Asian nations. Every household in this region regularly prepare and serve sticky rice delicacies to their loved ones as well as with the guests of their homes. Foreigners who tried this particular delicacy regarded this food as glutinous rice due to the taste, consistency, and appearance. Several food lovers usually give positive feedback after eating sticky rice whenever they happen to land in a place that currently celebrates their regional holiday.
Sticky rice is a delicacy in Southeast Asian nations such as Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Myanmar, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Timor Leste, and Brunei. As part of traditions, sticky rice is also regarded as a staple food for this particular region in the world because rice is their main staple food. Other regions who also prepares sticky rice recipes are China, India, Japan, Bangladesh, Taiwan, North Korea, and South Korea. If you happen to visit these areas, you expect to see various varieties of Sticky rice recipes. You will be honored to try one of these sticky rice variants to experience the customs and traditions of Asian cuisine.
|Dark red sweet sticky rice with Latik toppings|
Glutinous rice has been a thousand years delicacy in Southeast Asia. When settlers from the East Asian region came down towards the Southeast Asian peninsula, they continued their ancestor's agricultural tradition by planting rice fields and then harvesting it to prepare and serve their most favorite glutinous rice. Southeast Asia has a warm and humid climate, making it essential for the ancestors of Southeast Asian region to grow their crops all year long. Both in East Asia and South Asia have different climate, allowing ancestors to plant rice during the summer season of each year.
There are different sticky rice varieties. The famous is the white sticky rice varieties that is usually mixed with a normal rice. The structure and morphology of sticky rice is smmaller and oval in shape. The shade of sticky rice grains appears opaque, unline the normal rice that appears slightly transparent. You can mix sticky rice with meat varieties such as enclosed with pork, chicken, and beef variants of food and then wrapped with banana leaf and then ready to be served to anyone who wants to have a taste with their most favorite glutinous rice.
- 1 or 2 kilograms of Dark red stick grains of rice
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 shredded coconut meat (Used for latik as a topping)
- 2.5 liters of water
- (Optional) Pork, beef, chicken, vegetables, seafood varieties
Procedure for cooking the Latik toppings
- Squeeze the shredded coconut milk until its juice will be released. Use the wok to catch the coconut juice until you totally release all its remaining liquid by your hands or a squeezer equipment.
- Fire the stove and place it under the maximum flame level of 3 and wait until the coconut juice starts to simmer.
- Slow the fire to its minimum level while the coconut juice is simmering. Wait until the coconut juice partially dries up until it shows a crunchy residue that appears medium brown in color.
- When the coconut juice turned into golden or dark brown in color, it is time for you to remove it from the frying pan and then ready to be used as a topping for the gelatinous rice.
- The oil produced by the Latik is the virgin coconut oil. You can directly consume it or use it as an external oil when you massage your muscles at any part of your body.
|Dark red sweet sticy rice|
- Before cooking the red sticky rice, you make sure that you should rinse the rice with 1 liter, mix it and then drain the water to remove impurities.
- If you are going to use 1 kilo of dark red sticky rice, you just add at least 1 and a half liter of water in a large wok.
- Fire the oven to level 3 or maximum level. Wait until it reaches its simmering point.
- When the sticky rice starts to simmer, you may start mixing the sticky rice until it changes its consistency to a sticky texture.
- Add 1 cup of sugar and then mix it thoroughly. You can add more sugar depending on the sweetness that you want to achieve.
- Mix it for at least 20 minutes until it is already cooked enough to be consumed.
- Place the finished product in a plate or a container for either storage purposes or for consumption.
- Sprinkle the finished product with Latik to improve the taste and to incorporate nutritious elements that are good for your body.
- You can also mix the finished product with other food varieties such as pork, chicken, seafood, or vegetable varieties.
- You may now serve the finished produce to your friends or just consume it with yourself.
|Finished product: dark red sticky rice with latik toppings|
Do you want to have some sticky rice at home to prepare, serve, and strengthen your bond with your family and friends?