If there is one reason for us to become happier in life, this is when we want to achieve freedom. This is the case of newly crowned Binibining Pilipinas Universe 2018, which is now internationally recognized as Miss Universe Philippines 2018, Catriona Elisa Gray. She mentioned that she remains to be independent even before joining the Binibining Pilipinas 2018 beauty pageant. As an independent candidate, everyone knows that she does not belong to any beauty pageant training camps to further improve her skills to become a formidable beauty queen. But others are still speculative about her decision to remain independent.
Catriona Gray rose to fame when she joined Miss World Philippines in 2016. She won the license to represent the Philippines for Miss World 2016. She was trained in the Aces and Queens beauty pageant camp. She was trained how to properly execute her skills in Catwalk training, improve her stage presence, and properly answering questions. Catriona Gray fell short when she was declared as the 3rd Princess of equivalent to third runner-up. Stephanie Del Valle from Puerto Rico was declared as the winner of Miss World in 2016. Almost all beauty pageant camps predicted that Catriona Gray is the girl to win during that time.
|Miss Universe Philippines 2018 Catriona Gray|
1. A taste of freedom. Catriona Gray wants to taste the freedom of competing in a beauty pageant without a handler. This is with the exception of her personal make-up artists and personal assistants. As an independent candidate, Catriona wants to show the universe that she does not belong to any group that will handle her during the Miss Universe 2018 competition. However, this is only if the BPCI will allow her to become independent. She is currently in a contract with BPCI, which means that she might no longer have that freedom. The management of BPCI is still responsible for her competitive form before representing the country for Miss Universe.
2. Choose the gown that she wants. Candidates handled by their respective beauty pageant camps are advised to wear the gowns that they believe that is best for them. For independent candidates, having the freedom to choose a gown is a personal luxury. Catriona can wear a gown that accentuates her taste without the demands of other individuals or group. She can choose any designer that she wants for this year's competition. The designer who made the dress for her during the final's night of Binibining Pilipinas might be the same person who will create the best gown for Miss Universe 2018 this coming third quarter of the year.
*READ: 5 Thankful Facts why Catriona Gray won Miss Universe Philippines 2018
WATCH: 6 Reasons why Miss Universe Philippines 2018 is Independent
3. Try new experience. Catriona wants to try a new experience of competing without being handled by a beauty pageant camp. This is to explore the difference between haven't been handled by camps what are usually handling candidates for either local or international competition. This is because today, it is already a norm that a candidate competing for a beauty pageant are usually under a beauty pageant camp. Our society already considers it as a taboo for any candidate competing for a beauty pageant without being handled by a beauty pageant camp. This means that Catriona wants diversity in the beauty pageant camp by braving to show the world that she is an independent woman.
4. Avoid camp conflicts. Beauty pageant camp dramas are seriously real. No one cannot deny that conflict arises when there are some individuals or group starts a debatable or emotionally generated arguments. The height of beauty camp conflicts reaches its climax in every edition of Binibining Pilipinas. Each member of a particular camp generates attention by posting uncomfortable remarks against each other. This situation is the most disappointing thing for every candidate who just wants to join in order to make their community proud. So Catriona decided not to join any beauty pageant camps to prevent any heated arguments from each camp. The issue of claiming or bragging will be avoided before, during, and after joining a competition.
5. Lesser Responsibilities. One of the benefits of competing independently is to have lesser responsibilities to anyone. You do not owe anyone anything because you are not enrolled or handled by a certain camp. You are not currently under a contract with any organization who will mandate you to do this and do that and whatsoever. You are free to do whatever you want for as long as you comply with the rules and regulations of the BPCI and the Miss Universe Organization. She is not required to report her activities to any beauty pageant camp with the exception of BPCI and the MUO during the actual pageant.
6. To be Herself. Catriona is happy that she can act alone without wearing a mark. This is unlike other candidates that acts like a sophisticated diva just to please everybody. In the world of beauty pageant industry, each candidate is advised to act like a sophisticated and powerful woman on the outside. On the inside, they are screaming that they are pressured and their real image is concealed. It is a challenge for every candidate to act what is recommended by the beauty pageant handlers who want the best for them. The essence of showing their natural self is concealed by the mask due to the standards of beauty pageant industry.
*READ: 5 Theories why Catriona gray failed to win Miss World in 2016