The Philippines has been known as one of the most diverse countries in the world. Inhabitants of the Philippines are mixed with Malay, Indons, and Aeta indigenous groups from the ancient times, and then Caucasians and Chinese infiltrated the Philippine archipelago in the modern times. In terms of religious perspective, the country is populated by the Christian majority while Islam is practiced in the island of Mindanao regions.
Since the spread of Islam in Southeast Asian region began in the First Millenium, Arabs from the Middle East spread the word of Allah across the Maritime Southeast Asian archipelago. This is the place known today are Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, The Philippines, Singapore, and Timor-Leste. The Philippines just became a Christianized when the Spaniards successfully colonized the country for at least 300 years. Spaniards installed numerous churches, basilicas, cathedrals, and chapels to every town across the Philippines. However, the Moro region in the Philippines resisted Spaniard's claims for centuries, preserving Islam as part of their culture.
|There are at least 5 Islamist jihadist groups that are terrorizing the Philippines|
The reign of insurgency started during the Cold War Era. When the communist societies initiated political disturbances in Arab states. Radicalism started to flourish in these nations as a way to propagate harm and violence. When Islamist radicalism took place, leaders started utilizing the word Jihad, which is a way to drive away intruders of their nations responsible for causing atrocities in their communities. Radicalism was propagated by the Rebel forces in every country across the Arab region, creating a religious distortion with regards to the real essence of Islam, which is a classical strategy used by terrorists in the Philippines.
In the modern era, rebel forces used new ideological tactics as a way to strengthen their group against their authorities. Through generation to generation, these ideologies became rampant, being propagated by these rebel forces, allowing other leaders to create their faction groups, which utilizes religious principles as a tool to produce coercive strategies against groups, societies, and authorities. By the end of the 20th century, the next generation of rebel groups turned into terrorists, which distorted their belief that terror is the answer to their principles by creating a force for mass destruction. Terrorism was then born, affecting countries where Islam is being practiced, destroying the image of Muslims.
5 operating Islamist Terrorist groups in the Philippines that you should know
1. Abu Sayyaf: This is the most notorious terrorist group in the Philippines. They are the fiercest group responsible for having the most attacks against the Philippine societies. The group is well-financed, well-armed, and have enough group of men capable of propagating coercion and violence across the country. Their most favorite victims are foreigners, in which they acquire most of their income through ransom after abducting their victims. Abu Sayyaf pledged their allegiance to ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria) and Al Qaeda, the two largest terror networks in the world.
2. Jemaah Islamiyah: This is the largest terror network in Southeast Asia. Some commanders are reportedly going in and out of the Philippines. Mindanao is the favorite spot for these members to seek refuge from the authorities of neighboring countries surrounding the Philippines. Similar with Abu Sayyaf, Jemaah Islamiyah also pledged their allegiances to ISIS and Al Qaeda, the group is responsible for promoting forces of mass destruction as well as atrocities across the Indonesian archipelago.
3. Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters: This group is literally known as the BIFF terrorist group formed by Ameril Umbra Kato. This is the third most dangerous Islamist Jihadist militant based on the island of Mindanao, Philippines. The faction from the Moro Islamic Liberation Group and then became a smaller terrorist organization. BIFF is known to attack army and police detachments and stations, killing authority personnel as well as civilians.
4. Khalifa Islamiyah Mindanao: This is another Jihadi organization operating in Mindanao that was established in 2011. The founders of the group are Amir Abtol Rahman, Amir Kuptu, and Amir Human Abdul Najid. The group practices Islamic fundamentalism with the aim to propagate a Jihadist movement against Christians and other religious groups in the Philippines through violence, coercion, and intimidation. The group is also using the flag bearer of ISIS in Syria and Iraq. This group is the umbrella organization of Abu Sayyaf and Jemaah Islamiyah.
5. Maute Group: Another faction from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front created their own guerilla as a way to gain new power and terror in Mindanao. Abdullah Maute and Omar Maute are the founders of the group, which were former members of MILF. Islamic fundamentalism and jihadism is the ideological principle of the group. Maute brothers are now recruiting minors as their future leaders to propagate atrocities and principles of mass destruction across Mindanao.
*MILF, MNLF, and CPP-NPA NDF are currently in allegiance with the Philippine government due to several ongoing treaties initiated by the Philippine government. These groups are hopefully expected to gain peace pacts with the Philippine government to end civil unrest across the country.