Kitchen sponge or normally known as a sponge can cause numerous infections in your body. This is because they are always soaked in water often used when you are washing your dishes every after meals or snack time. When a person forgets to wash their hands after they wash their dishes, it is likely that they will be acquiring infection from the kitchen sponge without their knowledge. Some blame it on the food that they eat, but it is actually their proper hygienic practices after using the sponge.
When you try to clean your household, you are still vulnerable to infection because there are spots at home that you forgot to clean it. For example, the sponge after washing the dishes are usually ignored because you may thought that the sponge alone is the cleanest thing in the kitchen. But you are wrong because sponge is always moist because you often use it for cleaning your dishes using a soap and water. After washing the dishes, you leave the wet sponge behind, allowing the microbes to proliferate and start to multiply. The next hour or several hours is already enough to cause a significant infection for the next person who will hold the sponge and forgot to perform hand washing.
|This simple kitchen sponge can cause infection to your body|
Sponges are helpful for cleaning tough stains and particles that were left behind from food leftovers after each meal. There are millions of bacteria and virus that are hidden inside the sponge waiting for any hosts that they can cling on and start invading their systems. There are some sponges that are infected with highly dangerous pathogens capable of causing deadly diseases. Pathogens are microorganisms that intend to search for a host or a victim for them to exploit their bodily cells, tissues, and organs. They thrive by slowly killing their host while they are consuming their body's nutrition and killing their cells.
Why kitchen sponge causes infection to your body?
1. Kitchen sponge is always moist: It is important to know that pathogens love moisture because it can prolong their longevity. This means that pathogens such as harmful microbes can wait for several days or even weeks in order to attach themselves from unsuspecting hosts. Kitchen sponges are always wet because they are mainly used as a dishwashing cleaner for kitchen wares. They can be also used as an alternative to brush when cleaning any surface.
|unused kitchen sponge|
2. Sponge contains numerous of holes and compartments: When you look closer, there are thousands of holes or compartments that can be seen in your sponge. Pathogens love anything that provides a spacious environment so that they can hide and remain for several periods of time before they can infect their hosts. Basically, the sponge can provide refuge for washed away pathogens so that they can still have the chance to thrive and return to any host that can hold or make contact with the kitchen sponge anytime.
3. It can absorb smaller organisms as hosts: While pathogens are waiting for bigger hosts, they tend to initially infect smaller organisms such as insects or animals that are trapped in the sponge. They start to infiltrate the defense systems of the sponge that can literally cause infection to the poor organism. This process prolongs their lifespan and will continue their journey of keeping their species alive while searching for a permanent host.
4. Allow germs to spread to any surface: If you think that cleaning your table using kitchen sponges, you are totally wrong. Wiping your tables using kitchen sponges will further spread the infection and contaminates all surface it can touch, making it susceptible that microbe transmission is evident when you touch it. Even if you sprinkled it with anti-germicidal liquid foam, it does not guarantee that the sponge is totally disinfected with the sticky solvent for you to be germ-free.
5. Germs grow faster: If you place a contaminant such as a pathogen inside a sponge, it would likely grow faster than expected. The reason behind is that the environment is moist as well as it is continuously integrated with a new set of pathogens that would create a chain reaction. Even if one pathogen such as a virus or bacteria will come inside the sponge, it will replicate in just hours after it has been sheltered by an object that is providing a comfortable environment to mutate and multiply in an exponential manner.
6. It attracts mold formation: Even if you left the kitchen unused for one day, you will never notice that there is already another pathogen that is forming. This time, it is the molds. Fungi also loves a moist environment for them to grow. You will notice some parts of the kitchen sponge that there are several colored spots that appear. These are highly infectious agents because it can cause inflammation to your brain once that they reach your bloodstream.
7. Destroys your nails: If you do not observe proper hygiene after using the sponge, it can directly destroy your nails because pathogens will be dislodged inside your nailbeds, causing germ accumulation. Your nail starts to appear inflamed as the germs multiply. If your nails start to disintegrate with the finger, it is caused by a fungus. There is a bacterial infection when there is a pus formation in the nails.
8. Causes food poisoning: Normally, a sponge should be cleaning the plates, glasses, and other kitchen utensils. However, if there are unremoved food particles will cause a significant risk to the health of any person using it directly to their mouth. Any food particles that still remains in the utensils can cause a bacterial infection that results into food poisoning. This is dangerous because it can cause diarrhea, dehydration, and death.
9. A dirty sponge can cause skin infections: Kitchen sponges can cause a skin infection if they make contact to any open wounds. The droplets of water are already contaminated that when it will be dropped to an open wound, it introduces new pathogenic microorganisms that cause infection.
10. Makes the kitchen smell very bad: Dirty kitchen sponge is filled with pathogens that emits an odorous smell. You might be wondering why your kitchen is very foul smelling, blame it with your dirty sponge that has not been changed for many weeks.